What does the party need to do?
So I went to the SVARW meeting today (Silicon Valley Association of Republican Women). It was most interesting. After I found the meeting location, my GPS missed a critical turn to get to the location, I went in and got my necessary name tag and took a seat. After getting my favorite carbs for breakfast I sat down and chatted with the women at the table. This meeting, the first of the year was free for first time guests such as myself, so it appeared that there were a number of us that were interested in checking out the group. From the women I spoke with all were looking for a safe environment to be an openly conservative. ME TOO!
So a quick rundown on the makeup. There were somewhere between 80-100 women in attendance. There were a few men (most likely husbands of said members). I quite possibly was the youngest person there, there may have been a few other people in their 30’s but the majority were older than me. But really that is usually the case in most settings I am in. I was young when my first child was born, so I am usually the youngest parent in his class. (young by today’s standards, since everyone is waiting to have children – I was 24 when he was born). Everyone was very friendly and very eager to get involved and make a difference in our society. Seeing ways to impact decisions and government. I really enjoyed the meeting and hope that I will be able to continue to attend.
Now for the topic of the day – “The Republican Resurgence Begins NOW” Dr Charlie Self, aka Dr. History delivered the message for the day and it was most interesting. He was challenging us to imagine what our republic could look like, what it once was, compared to what it currently has become. We have become “people who abandon principles” with “politicians who choose corruption“. Pretty harsh sounding, but true. We as a nation have set aside many basic fundamental things like absolute truth, freedoms, the right to bear arms, etc in favor of allowing more liberties and freedoms to be taken away from the individuals and given to the government. He said, “we need to restore sanity and truth and have a republic left for the next generation.” And that only “attempting self preservation leads to destruction.”
The challenge was to imagine that our country could look like the following:
- Pro-life could mean making adoption costs affordable and cutting out red tape
- Parental Responsibility increases, parents are responsible for having their children ready to learn at school. The parent is responsible, not the school.
- IRS – fixes the tax system
- Military would be an effective force – not simply a police
Dr. History discussed how Teddy Roosevelt’s presidency shows that it is possible to have business reform without embracing socialist principles. It is possible to take care of the environment while still respecting private property. Foreign affairs can be handled and managed while still maintaining respect of other nations. He then offered a list of things that he feels should be involved in getting the party back in line.
- respect for all faiths, refuse preference for groups (you know I am big fan of this one. I feel strongly that there is a bias against Christianity)
- end faith based initiatives, let the public fund, no more strings attached
- economic stimulus: lower taxes, no fed $$ for bonuses or retreats, hold those in office to higher standards, jail the elite for fraud
- immigration transformation – become Ellis island again
- cut federal spending by 10%
- make military more efficient
- stress parental responsibility and local government responsibility
- multiple energy sources – By 2020 we could have a 50% reduction in our dependence if we pursue mulitple energy sources NOW
- new initiatives to prevent abortions & euthanasia
- term limits across the board, no one has more than 20 combined years in office. get new people involved. not just the elite.
- liberty and national sovereignty – we do not need tyranny from dictators at the UN
- resurgence of freedom in academics – school is to educate NOT indoctrinate
- irrevocable commitment to Israels right to exist securely
Some other interesting things to note. In 1976 the Republican Party looked lifeless but then by 1980 we had a Republican president. The party is not dead, it is only alive again when not out for party interests but reaffirming the values of the republic. The key for America is going to be to live with our differences, yet find ways to work together.
It is time to get to work. Will be interested to hear some views on what you think the party needs to do! Anyone?
(you can hear Dr. Charlie Self on the Brain Sussman Show on KSFO Hot Talk 560 AM)